Re: Would you test for Cushings and/or IR? - history, photos added

Sara, I didn't mean to imply that the trim caused the hocks problem, which was pre-existing. The vet's suggestion is that pain in the front feet caused by the trim put more strain on already severely arthritic hocks. The vet mentioned lowering the heel to improve the angle of the CB, *not* to address hocks pain.

There are other details about the hocks that I didn't cover because I assumed it wasn't relevant to EC/IR. We will address hocks treatments (injections, Adaquan) after we see how bute followed by firocoxib resolves her pain (wherever located), checking at each medication transition that she shows no signs of returning pain. Any sign of returning pain, and she goes in boots and, I'm guessing, revisit possible laminitis.

The vet hasn't given me specific advice for a farrier or trimmer, other than to urge me to line up someone with qualifications, certification and experience. He's not ready to make a recommendation until we see what the next 10 days bring. This mare's vet care isn't even close to complete. Hope this is clearer. OT, but I've had the best results managing arthritic hocks -- after the acute painful phase -- from a balanced diet and 24/7 turnout in hilly pastures.

Cass
Sonoma County, CA
Oct 2012

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "Sara J" <saragooch49@...> wrote:

(OT. Probably belongs in ECHoof, apologies.)I too have an IR mare with hock (and stifle) problems, probably arthritis, and I'm curious, what elements of the trim did your vet feel contributed to her hock arthritis and rear-end lameness? What will you ask your new trimmer to do differently? I've been told by different vets to both raise and lower her heels.
Thanks,
Sara, NE California