Re: What's the salt for?

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

The emergency diet recommends among other things salt. I can see the purpose of the other supplements but what does the salt do? Have I missed some information somewhere? thank you!
Hi Jackie,
Horses need a minimum of 2 oz of salt per day for maintainence. Hay has virtually none and is usually high in potassium so there is a double imbalance. More is needed if the horse is in work and sweating more than an hour per day. Many horses are salt deficient.
Sodium chloride is the most basic electrolyte. Most general electrolyte supplements won't address the sodium chloride deficit as they also add potassium (plenty in hay). The other minerals are not needed unless the horse is working exceedingly hard and sweating for several hours.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team