Barbara's questions

Marc Davis <lmdavis@...>

Barbara:

Thanks for joining us, the more input/infor/support we can exchange the
better. Here's my responses to your questions:

<1. Most of you seem to use pergolide. Is it because the cypro stopped
working?>

I am currently using cypro on my 21 yr. old Swedish Warmblood who is still
competing at Intermediare I dressage. I chose that partly on my vets advice
(start with the mildest drug first and see if it will work) and partly
because Permax was so much more expensive. Naturally, after the first month
of reasonably price cypro something happened in the market which jacked the
price way up (just my luck!). I was already having success using it so
decided to stick with it for a while. Also, I had heard that pergolide can
trigger laminitis in some cases (don't know if its true but didn't want to
take the chance). I used cypro pills for the first three months then
switched to the liquid. He's been on that now for 4 months and was doing
well until the last three weeks or so. I am wondering if the cypro is
"wearing out". The expiration date is up in July but I'm wondering if it
degrades faster than the Company says??? Or, is the Cushings progressing???
I'll be doing more bloodwork very soon! I am also contemplating adding a
small amount of pergolide. It may be time.

<2. Do you find that your horses can't tolerate the heat? Amiga is in most
of the day with fans and I either hose her or sponge her with
alcohol/water.>

I find that my horse is sometimes a little cold (we live in the northwest)
when other horses are fine. I also find that different areas on his body
will be normally warm while other areas will be extremely cold to the touch.
(would love to hear anyone's comments on this!)

<3. My vet would like to keep her without shoes if possible. My pasture is
flat and fairly rock free and I had her barefoot until March when I thought
I would be taking her out to shows. What is the consensus about shoes?>

Since my guy is still performing at the FEI level he has to have his shoes.
He has never been able to perform barefoot (and I have tried for long
periods of time). His soles are extremely sensitive and thin. I doubt that I
will ever take the shoes off unless it becomes "the lesser of two evils". If
you have a really good farrier ask her/him for their thoughts. They might
have some ideas to help there. Don't leave them out of the picture and
remember that shoes are not always evil when you have a good farrier.

<4. I've seen a lot of you mention Thyrol. I'm beginning to wonder if
lowering her dose may have triggered this latest flare up. >

I don't have a lot of experience here but I think you're on to something.
Robin, What do you think?

<5. Speaking of flare ups-are there any clues to watch for or will she just
be sound one day and lame the next? Also, is there any hope of riding her
again? She was doing so well and I think was enjoying being ridden-it gave
her a purpose.

My horse has not had any laminitis yet so I can't comment here. As far as
riding I'd say that if she's not lame she would probably enjoy light riding
as much as you would.

As far as testing, several people have suggested trying the Cushings Assay
that BET labs offers. Check them out at betlabs.com. I'm going to try them
myself next week. Apparently they can usually tell you which drug is most
suitable for your particular horse as well as the doseage.

No Dex. Suppression Test for MY horse!!!!

Good Luck

Carla