Re: 3 questions (hay analysis, ODTB, feeding pill) #nirwetchem

Sally Hugg

Just wanted to share our experience with NIR vs wet chemistry testing for ESC/starch last summer.

My hay grower travels to find low sugar grass hay every year. He sends the samples to Equi-analytical, and for the sake of economy and fast results he has always used #601 (equi-tech) which uses NIR for sugars and starch. He was very happy to find some nice looking hay that tested 1.1% ESC and .2% starch. I didn't think that looked right, so I asked him to have the lab retest the sample using wet chemistry. The results with wet chemistry came back as 6.6% ESC and .3% starch. That's over 5% difference in ESC. From now on, we will be using wet chemistry to make our final selections on which hay to buy.

Sally Hugg
N. California
2003

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "drkellon" wrote:

NIR determinations are estimates only, not measurements. They are not as accurate as direct measurement of sugar and starch. If the lady can prove differently, she needs to present the studies that show it or their data in detail. Your horse's welfare depends on it.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001