From: zoma
Sent: 26/01/2013 03:08
Subject: Re: [EquineCushings] New Diagnosis- Baileys LoCal Balancer & Dengie HI FI Lite

-----Original Message-----
From: sezzie22
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:44 AM
To: EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [EquineCushings] New Diagnosis- Baileys LoCal Balancer & Dengie HI
FI Lite

Hi All,

I am very new here so apologise in advance if I am doing this incorrectly!!!

I will upload a case history as soon as possible but will give some
background information here first!

My 22/23 year old Irish Sport Horse Jenny has recently been diagnosed
(bloods confirmed 2 weeks ago) with Cushings.
Up until rencently she was in a loan home (due to my financial constraints)
and when I went to visit in early November noticed a number of things which
led me to believe she was beginning to show symptoms of Cushings.
As such I now have her in a local Stables boarding.

She is over weight with a compromised immune system (WBC 2.4 (should be
between 7-9) and platelets at 58 (170-190 range) These results are from her
initial bloods I had carried out in NOvember which produced a FALSE NEGATIVE
in relation to her cushings.
I did however immediately put her on a low starch low sugar soaked hay diet
as i felt sure this was a false result.
SHe is currently on Dengie HiFI LITE and Baileys Lo-CAL Balancer twice daily
as a feed and soaked hay. She is turned out daily in the sand ring with HI
FI LITE to nibble on.

She has suffered with a bad foot abscess in November (at the time the bloods
were taken) but she was fully sound until last week again when she lamed
again having been shod 2 days before.

Does anybody know if these feeds are ok for her??! I read the Emergency Diet
file but I am concerned about giving her Beetpulp as in my head as she is so
overweight (left out to grass with no restriction in loan home......)it may
not be suitable for her??

She has lost weight- but still has a significant belly which i know is also
a symptom of cushings also......I do hand walk her in the arena a few times
a week but as she is lame again it is difficult for me to help her lose
weight whilst being recurrently lame! Vet has said this is not a laminitic
situation. I feel it may be a recurring abscess and we are in works to get
this out via both Vet and Master farrier.

She is also quite stiff the poor old lady and I would like to commence her
on a joint supplement to help her be more comfortable and have found one
available with no glucosamine

http://www.copa-ireland.com/Liquiflex.html
Your opinion would be much appreciated in this as I am reading so much
information in relation to conflicting information about what is safe and
not safe for her I have confused myself!!!
The vet has commenced her on a herbal alternative for the cushings called
ACTH & Quercus Robur I have found limited clinical research in relation to
this but did find this particular paper with results:

http://www.bahvs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Cushings-Research.pdf

She has now been on this diet since November and the ACTH & Quercus Robur
for 2.5 weeks.

Could anyone please steer me in the correct direction in relation to what I
should be supplementing her with? Vitamin E Magnesium Oxide Flax etc? Should
I move her to the Emergency Diet components? Can I give her a supplement for
her joints as linked above??

Please help as a newbie I am literally drowning in a sea of information!!

your help would be hugely appreciated.

Sarah & Jenny
IRELAND
Diagnosed January 2013