Re: safe carriers

meg_findhorse

Hi,

I have been working on things for my Icelandic. They are in my backyard, so a different living situation than yours. I have been trying to switch more to bagged feeds, as we don't have tested hay. I get hay in small batches - mostly Bermuda, but last batch is some other hay that is stemmy. Is is orchard grass? I don't know, but have added into the mix because need to stretch out my remaining last batch of Bermuda. We seemed to be going along well until sometimes get a new batch of hay and then things go south.

I wish there was a way to soak hay and then re-dry it, so could have that as an option. Does anyone do that? How? When summer starts here the wet hay and still soaking hay gets too hot, even in shade. Danger of moldier hay.

Recently had to go on a week long trip and first time had to figure out how to let someone else feed my boys. What I did was prepare soaked beet pulp and put in gallon plastic bag then froze. One pound dry soaked would go into a one pound freezer bag pressed flat. If put it out a few hours before, then it will melt enough to feed. Even if left bit frozen they like to eat it... and some entertainment for them. I prefer to have it melted, so can use to mix with the salt and any powder additives. While gone my horse was on a powder antibiotic that worked well to feed in the beet pulp. The bags can be re-used because the beet pulp leaves only a bit of residue and dries.

I also tried soaking the Timothy balance cubes. They took up a lot of water to the cubes, so got them to fully saturated. One pound dry in a gallon bag soaked. The bags don't work well to re-use because leaves hay residue that doesn't dry, but use them to clean kitty litter boxes.

This way I could leave some items for pet sitter in the freezer without expecting her to do them. If a boarding place had a freezer or fridge (or even provide them a small fridg - sell for about $100), then could prepare food ahead of time to feed out during the week.

I pre-stuffed hay nets, but unfortunately couldn't do that with pre-soaked hay. I am usually soaking hay in the nets to feed, but didn't expect the pet sitter to do this for me. Too much. I keep pondering how to re-dry soaked wet hay perhaps on a wire rack in the summer sun?

This group says that the Triple Crown Safe Forage isn't good because has too much oil for IR horses. Perhaps, but my horses love it. I mix it in vs feed it solely. The Safe Forage is considered a complete feed, just like the ODTB cubes. It is nice smelling hay chopped into chafe. I give my horses 1 - 2 pounds of it mixed in. Two pounds will fit into a gallon plastic bag. Two pounds of dry ODTB cubes will fit into a gallon plastic bag. I may add in some dry ODTB cubes for variety - add crunch - maybe half pound.

So... I'm giving my guys mix of soaked beet pulp, Safe Forage and ODTB that mix all together. Will toss in a handful of peanuts in shell for variety that they also love. If need to make bit more enticing due to adding in something bitter like an antibiotic, then use a sugar-free Splenda sugary tasting pancake syrup. My IR horse has a sweet tooth, so that helps sometimes. I also give additional soaked hay in nets.

Weigh out it all so that they usually aren't getting overfed anymore, which I find way too easy to do for my boys. They are always up for some food.

My horse just got over a hoof abscess that was caused no doubt from prior laminitic issues. Right now doing well, but will need to be locking off grass again with it coming up in Spring. Buying more fence panels. Perhaps if you got your own fence panels that might make it doable for blocking off a section of pasture for your horse. They are easy to move around. I have the Utility 12 foot Priefert panels about $100 each. This isn't easy budget wise for me either. The added expenses are seriously difficult at times. Moving to cubed and chafe hay bags is more expensive than hay, then add in vet visits and more fence panels and.... been a tough while moneywise!

Anyway... sorry for novel... but adding in some of the Safe Forage and shelled peanuts are two things maybe to try to transition to only the ODTB hay cubes. Maybe not make quite so wet? Try varying the texture of the crunch or not? Try another bag, just in case that other bag got stale. Have you tried soaked beet pulp (no molasses, of course). Or adding in some sugar-free syrup? Try with and without as much salt.

I just hope I'm on the right track. Right now my guy is running around more than he has in quite awhile - leaping and kicking and even tolting around. Now gotta keep him that way and grow out his feet.

If anyone reads this in north Texas and knows a hay supplier with known low sugar hay, then please let me know. I've cleared some space and might be able to get enough of a batch to justify all the testing and balancing. Would love to get on that pathway that is recommended by this group. Eating good hay would be more ideal because takes longer to eat than the ODTB cube mix, so keeps them content longer.

Meg F
2 Icelandic geldings
April 5, 2010
north Texas

--- In EquineCushings@..., "hwilhelm43" <hwilhelm43@...> wrote:

My guy started having trouble again this winter when the ground was so hard. Started immediately giving him ODTB cubes and supplements which he used to love. Used to mix everything in water and had no trouble getting him to eat it. However lately he refuses to touch the cubes. Would like to know some feeds that are out there that I could mix with his supplements. At one point, I had a vet suggest a feed that turned out to be wrong for IR horses. Just want something that I could use to help get supplements down him.

He is a 17 year old Icelandic that foundered about two years ago. He is a little over weight this year. Unfortunately, our situation has changed and we are currently boarding him. Owner of the barn has been slow to respond to need to limit his food. She likes to free feed her mules/donkey which are grossly over weight. I want to move him but haven't found a satisfactory option yet. There is one place that might work but I need to furnish my own hay. Grass hay is very difficult to find at this point so I will probably wait until this year's crop becomes available. Last batch of hay we got cost over $10/bale. I do have a source for grass hay lined up for this year.

Heidi W