First blood results (34 days after starting Prascend)

Claudia Goodman

I just ran Silhouette's test values through the IR calculator - indicating she is severely IR (3.13). I was surprised since both G & I are mid-range, according to Cornell values. I'm trying not to freak out!
Could this severely IR ratio be somewhat influenced by drawing blood 4 hrs after breakfast? (My vet wasn't scheduled to come for another hour - for once, he was early!)
I slowly removed the small portion of alfalfa pellets (2 qts daily) from her diet over the past month. I hope this will make a difference in her insulin regulation. She is otherwise eating ODTC and tested hay (<10%NSC) with 1-2 cups of LMF low carb stage 1 to sweeten up her late morning ODTC-supplement mash. Her weight is down and she looks good. I'm hoping the lower ACTH will help the insulin outlook. Her feet look really good, she moves well, no pulses. I'm so surprised about the G:I ratio.

---In EquineCushings@..., <claudiagoodman22@...> wrote:

Silhouette's insulin and glucose values (non-fasting) appear good, and her ACTH has improved. I would appreciate any responses as to whether to continue the current 1mg dose of Prascend or consider increasing at this time. These samples were sent to Cornell for leptin level, but as leptin is not reported. Iron panel from KSU also not yet reported.
Blood drawn on 2/23, at 9:30am, 4 hours after she was fed her usual grass hay breakfast:
Glucose: 89 mg/dL (ref 71 - 113)
Insulin: 28.42 ulU/mL (ref 10 - 40)
ACTH: 33.9 pg/mL  (ref 9 - 35)    (ACTH was 50 when tested just prior to starting Prascend. Idexx labs.)
I will update our CH as soon as all results are in.
Also… should there be any concern that the blood was drawn on 2/23 and received at Cornell on 2/27?
Thank you,

Claudia & Silhouette 2014 California