Re: Trimming sole [was ugh! I am always a " day late " in proper protocal...]

PapBallou@...

CeAnn -

First, no hoof needs to be removed!

Often an overgrown foot, such as Pony's, will have a lot of unexfoliated dead sole that may need some help in being removed.  Pony's foot has what appears to be a lot of concavity, but in fact, that concavity is simply because the walls, especially in the heel area, are so long as to make the cup of the foot almost appear to be cavernous.

Different people have different individual approaches as to how they manage the remaining sole after removing the excess.  If possible, it is probably best to be able to smooth the sole, with knife, grinder, dremel, or small curved wood finishing rasps.
In my area, if I pop out dead sole, the horse will do the smoothing in a few strides across the DG, a common natural footing.

A horse on very firm ground will usually develop what appears to be a somewhat flat sole.  It's just a more full cup of the foot, since the foot always 'wants' to be in contact with the ground.  Since the ground doesn't conform to the foot because the ground is so hard, the foot develops a sole that will contact the unforgiving ground.

OK - much more of an answer than probably the intent of the question!

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004