Re: Carb overload question

PapBallou@...

Hi -

I have answered this a number of times, and see that none have made it past neo.

Give this a read -

Carb overload/laminitis is a separate issue, but nowhere near as common as laminitis from metabolic problems.  Carb overload is a potential problem for all equines - that's why we lock up grain/grain products.

Carb overload from pasture continues to be thought to be a significant problem, since that was the initial focus years ago when researchers started looking into pasture associated laminitis.  With the exception of possibly rye grass, and perhaps a few unusually sensitive horses, it is quite rare.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004