Re: how long is acute....?

Emily Phillips

Hi Julie, My first post on here was entitled "Is this recovery normal" for exactly the same reason... My mare was doing well and then had a trim 2 weeks in and was crippled again. It has been almost 4 months now since she became acute and we are slowly getting there. As Lavinia said the trim is so important so get some pics up if you can so she can take a look and let you know what she sees. I had to change trimmers a couple of times to find someone good. Also weight bearing xrays will give you a really good idea of what is going on and how bad it really is. Mine after a few weeks showed my mare had / has really thin soles, and although she has minimal rotation and sinking, she was uber foot sore because her soles are so thin. The right trim and she is now able to start building a thicker sole. I've made sure to give a nice thick shavings bed in her yard (thinner shavings elsewhere so she pees on that and leaves her bed most of the time!) and for the first 2-3 months she lay down a lot. Now with the right trim she is happy to be up on her feet a lot more. Hang in there! Get pics and xrays if you can afford to, so you can get a better idea about how long it is likely to be til your pony is walking happily again. It will happen! Emily and Cheyenne Jan 2014 Springmount, Victoria, Australia