New research on PPID protocols from Tufts University - thyrotropin stimulation test

Ruth Vale

New research on PPID protocols from Tufts University published in December 2013.  Has this group evaluated this research yet?  Results do align with advice given by this group - to not use DST - I had to convince my vet for precisely the reasons quoted.  On-farm test for PPID is a good thing - do we know anything further about the new test?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131204181421.htm
From the article:

The newly established guidelines retain the recommendation to measure resting ACTH concentrations, but the group has lowered the recommendation for using the DST. Recent research shows that the DST is no better at detecting PPID than other tests, and horse owners have concerns about dexamethasone inducing laminitis, a painful condition affecting the feet that can lead to death.

Instead, the EEG group recommends a thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) stimulation test, which is particularly useful when horses with early PPID have normal resting ACTH concentrations. TRH causes the pituitary gland to release more hormones and ACTH concentrations increase to a higher level in horses with PPID. This test is easily performed on the farm by taking a baseline blood sample, injecting TRH intravenously, and collecting a second blood sample 10 minutes later. At present, the TRH stimulation test should only be used between December and June, which is the only period in which cut-off values have been established. Cut-off values allow veterinarians to interpret results and determine whether the horse suffers from PPID