Re: cushings horse on an organic farm

Sherry LaMarche

What about Speedi-Beet?  I buy it in Illinois,  and at least it's not GMO

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 1, 2014, at 12:49 PM, "Mandy" <bittersweetfarm@...> wrote:

Hi Aliza,
Welcome to the group.  Our philosophy is very short and simple.   DDT/E.   This means DIAGNOSIS by bloodwork,   DIET of low sugar/starch forage with the minerals balanced to that assay,  TRIM a foot in alignment with the coffin bone/heels lowered and toes backed   and last EXERCISE of handwalking ONLY if the horse is willing and able.   Never force a lamintic horse to move.

In your situation with a new horse that is IR/PPID,  I would tighten up his diet and get current bloodowork.    The bloodwork we recommend are ACTH,  Insuin/Glucose/Leptin on a NON fasting horse.  Please send the blood to Cornell.  They are most familiar with the protocol we use.   Feed your boy soaked/drained grass hay the night before and the day of the blood draw.  Your vet needs to have an account with Cornell.  In the files under Bloodtesting,  you can also find shipping labels to cut your cost because these tests need to be handled quickly and correctly.   Ship overnight air to Cornell.  The serum needs to be seperated within 4 hours or less from the time of the draw.  Keep all samples chilled on ice.

As soon as you get the sample results,  please join the ECH8 group and fill out the questionnaire there.  That paints the bigger picture of what is happening with your horse.    We have volunteers here to help you from DIET to TRIM.    I’m sending you the link to join ECH8.   You asked about feeding the exlaminitic  ~ that will depend on your bloodwork.   I the meantime please start the Temporary Emergency DIET in the Start Here File.   Aliza,   this is critical for your boy.  Arabs are the top breed in the IR  department.  To control IR you feed a a special low s/s/ fat meal.   Soaking his hay for one hour is the first place to start.  Then adding the Temp ER minerals of Vitamin E,  loose iodized table salt,  magnesium and freshly ground flax seed will be the starting building blocks to his custom  DIET.   The search is on for low sugar/starch grass hay.  NO alfalfa.   And NO PASTURE!   Grass is very high in sugar this time of year.   NO apples, no carrots,  no commercial feeds or supplements -  yet.  Lets see what his numbers are.

Send your hay sample to Equi-analytical.com and ask for the Trainer # 603.   Since hay is the major portion of his diet,  he will need extra minerals to balance his meals.

Aliza, you describe  a lame horse.  We call it smoldering subclinicial laminitis. You caught this early.  By starting the ER DIET today you can stop it from getting worse.  Have your vet take xrays of his feet.  Then you get down on the ground and take photos of his feet.  I’m also sending a link where you can get ideas on how to take good photos.    Do NOT exercise him at all right now.   We do not promote lunging because of the torque it puts on the walls of his feet.   Do NOT give him bute or any other NSAIDS because now is the time to keep him quiet before he does any more damage to his laminae  It takes about one year for a horse to grow out an entire foot.  Sometimes it takes 2-3 years.  Be patient.  You have a young horse!  He’ll teach you tons...as he is now.

Start a journal on him.  Take photos,  measurements,  trace his feet- get him boots and pads if that makes him more comfortable.    We have all walked in your shoes.  We are paying it forward.  Ask questions and we’ll help.

Organic Beet Pulp?  You may have to grow your own!!  Two other options beside the Soy Hull Pellets that Laura mentioned are Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes or NUZU feed out of Illinois.     These are not organic but they are SAFE and COMPLETE feeds that are approved by the group.

Get your bloodwork taken care of so we can help you start this journey. He’s a lucky boy that you have him!

http://www.freil.com/~mlf/IR/ir.html

www.equi-analytical.com

http://www.all-natural-horse-care.com/good-hoof-photos.html

Mandy in VA