Re: advice on judgement i made today

Emily Phillips

"First off, let me preface this by saying I am not panicked, ( chocolate is near by)"

Excellent Julie!  Chocolate is VERY good for owners of horses with laminitis.  Proven scientific fact.  :)

I will leave the advice to the experts but just wanted to give you a cyber hug as I read each of your posts and feel every pain, sweat, and tear that you are going through...  You are not alone and sadly when people say it usually gets worse before it gets better, that is true.  But it will get better.  Your pony is a fighter and it sounds like you are too.
Hard to get your head around but abscessing is a natural part of healing and a good thing because it means circulation is returning to the foot - so I am told... My mare is currently abscessing too...
If you think Pony may be abscessing good idea to put a warm wet poultice on.  Strapped / Booted up to keep it on 24/7.  Changing it at least once a day, twice if you can.  Once it bursts it provides them lots of relief and then you keep poulticing to draw everything out and keep the hole clean.
Nice thick bed so Pony can lie down when needed to take the weight off.

Thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way!

Emily and Cheyenne
January 2014
Springmount, Victoria, Australia