Re: Can Horses with Cushings have problems with beat pulp?

PapBallou@...

Normally I am a huge believer in feeding beat pulp.  However I have noticed a change in how Stanlee products are having the pulp processed and the chunks are smaller and there is a lot more mollasses in it.  I contacted Stanlee and reported the change and the customer service folks were less than ambivalent about the issue.

Marion -

Beet pulp is probably the safest feed you can give your horses as far as low sugar/starch levels, but you have to process it to make it that way, although much of the sugars have been removed during the extraction process.

If you are feeding shreds, first rinse the dry shreds to remove any residue, soak in clean water for at least half an hour, and then put shreds into a colander and rinse until the water runs clear.  This rinses away additional sugar that has soaked out of the shreds.  Feed.

If feeding pellets - you need to soak them until they fall apart into individual small pieces of beet pulp.  This can sometimes take awhile!  Hot water can hurry the soak time.  Also put into a colander and rinse until the water runs clear, and then feed.

Have never seen it reported here that beet pulp is a cause of ulcers.  If you read the emergency diet info, you'll see we highly recommend it.  BP is also the main ingredient in many bagged products.

 >>>My mare is doing fine and has no problems other than the hair coat and pot belly, but was curious if the added sugars could add to her problems if I were to start feeding it again.

Process it as above to minimize the sugars.  As with everything, there are exceptions to every rule, but BP shouldn't cause any problems.

Have you had the tests done to get a firm diagnosis of cuahings?

Linda

EC Primary Response

West Coast

May 2004