Re: help with interpretation of test results.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Aliza,

That insulin result is still pretty high. I assume glucose was not tested? Using the IR calculator he is severe IR, high risk for laminitis:

http://www.freil.com/~mlf/IR/ir.html

As you know, pergolide is not a treatment for IR or laminitis - only for PPID.

We need to have you fill out a case history for your boy here:

Yahoo Groups

Once you do that could you please add it to your signature. Also need you add your general location. These things help us to help you better.

Are the minerals you are feeding based on your hay analysis? Need to tighten up his diet as the leptin result points to him not being IR at baseline. Are you able to exercise him? How long ago was his laminitis? Has he had more than one episode?

We could use some hoof photos to see what the trim looks like. You can make a folder in the ECHistory8 Photos section and add them there. This way, we can make sure his trim is optimal. It is possible that what looks like stiff stifles is actually sub-clinical laminits issues that are making him stiff from shifting his weight in a compensatory manner.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team