Re: 1st vs 2nd cutting sugar

Dawn Wagstaff

Kristin,
Here in Michigan, our second cutting doesn't come in until late July and is often subjected to drought, very high temps, etc. Our first cut usually has a benefitted from a wet spring and slowly increasing temps. All our hay here has already headed out. Within a couple of weeks it wlll be ready to cut and it has been ideal the past ten days for grass growth, 80 degrees during the day and 55-65 at night.

In other words, you have to look at the location you are buying your hay from, the typical conditions it is grown in during the time as to which cutting is more likely to be stressed and have additional sugar.

My first cut has always been between 5-8%. I have bought some second that has been 11-12%, again, cut late July.

Dawn Wagstaff
Saline, MI  2003