Re: Missy the Mini

Maggie

Hi Lisa,

Did you wean Missy on to the Prascend slowly?  Or did you give her the entire 1mg tablet for her first dose?  Sometimes horses will experience what we call a "pergolide veil" (depression, lack of appetite) when started on pergolide.  To help avoid that we recommend that you wean on to the drug slowly, starting with 0.25 mg for 3 or 4 days and increase by 0.25mg every 3 or 4 days until you reach the target dose.  Prascend is 1 mg tabs, so half would be 0.5mg.  You can cut it into quarters but the manufacturer does not recommend it.  One way to get 0.25mg is to dissolve 1/2 tab in a few cc's of water, give have and save the other half in the frig for the next day.  Also there is an adaptogen called APF that helps with the pergolide veil.  It sometimes can be bought locally, and also through catalogs. Here's there website:  http://www.auburnlabs.com/html/eqProdGen.html  And here's one place that sells it:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=9a7664ab-4a95-4553-9f58-37c44fdf6a82&gas=APF

Don't forget to add the link to your case history when you get it done.

Maggie, Chancey and Spiral in VA
March 2011
EC Primary Response
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory4/files/maggie%20in%20virginia/