Re:

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Karen,

I'm assuming the units of measure on that insulin are probably uIU/ml. Although you can't do an insulin/glucose ratio, you can plug the number into the IR calculator, where  it comes up as compensated IR, laminitis risk.

http://www.freil.com/~mlf/IR/ir.html

Normal is a range set by each lab based on the values they tend to see. Normal does not necessarily equal healthy. That she gets laminitis when on pasture is a red flag that she is indeed IR but being managed.

IR is not something that is cured as it is not a disease. It is a metabolic type that has genes which make them super efficient at extracting nutrition from their feed. This is great when food is scarce and they must move many miles to find that food. In our horse keeping scenarios today, there is little movement and the feeds are much richer so an individual who is programmed to be efficient gets doubly whacked with an excess of "good stuff".

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

    I have another question - my mare's Insulin last week was 18.42 with normal range 2-25.  This is the first time I have had it done.  She is 29.
    My question is, with a normal Insulin level, why has she always had a cresty neck ( even when really trimmed down, she has a small one),  always been an easy keeper , has foundered twice and has laminitis when she is on pasture.