Re: Hay problem

Patti Grisham

Linda,

I know that ESC and Starch are the important numbers for an IR horse, of which we have one.  I was pleased to see you say not to worry about the WSC because it does not matter.  At the No Laminitis Conference last year I think Dr. Kellon said WSC does not matter because it is fermented in the hindgut and therefore does not affect blood sugar or insulin levels.  Do I have that correct?  I have had people ask me about what matters in a hay analysis and I want to be sure that I am giving science-based answers and not shooting from the hip.  Can you help me better understand WSC so I can more accurately talk to people about it who ask?

Thank you.

Patti
September 2012 (I think)
Oregon