Bounce Blood test results

Ruth Vale

Hi all, responding from the digest
Gentpony wrote:
>Alton is very close to Guelph

Not so much.  I will get clarification on the sample handling.  FWIW, Alton is the municipality but it covers a lot of territory.  Both Vet & I are closer to Orangeville - which puts us on the outer periphery of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and the far end of the courier routes going in either direction.  As for how do I know that - had to drive 1.5 hours into the GTA for what was supposed to be a courier drop off and they took it back to the depot because I wasn't home (they knew that).  :(.

Lavina wrote:
      >This is the second time I'm trying to reply - hope Neo lets it post.

Received.

>The most recent testing shows all the values have gone up from when the tests were done in Feb,
>which is troubling. The Leptin stayed about the same.
>Both sets of numbers calculate that Bounce is technically not IR, which is great, but as there is some question about the
>handling of the samples it would make sense to be cautious. The Leptin value says he is IR at baseline,

This has been my conclusion.  I need patience here.   It took some serious convincing to have the vet (whom I otherwise trust implicitly) do to non-fasting glucose test.  He is not convinced that IR is a valid medical diagnosis so we have a ways to go.  Currently he's agreed with me that treating him as IR is probably the safer way to go.

>which means that his work load and diet are the only things keeping him
>from becoming overtly IR and at risk for more laminitis.

Sorry this isn't clear to me.  Workload is minimal and you said diet is inappropriate (I didn't say I agreed, but that's a different point).  As far as I see it, workload and diet are at minimal levels - we are working upward but for now are relatively insignificant factors IMO.  He is outside every day on 1 acre dry lot shared with other horses.  He gets hacked at walk and a little trot on the quarter track, 3-5 times a week.   He used to be schooling 3rd level dressage, ridden or driven 6d/wk sand competed at least 7yrs in training level combined driving. By way of exercise, we're doing some lateral work at walk and trot but compared to what he used to do - muscle is building again but he's on R&R minimum work load.  He'll get more real hacking when the bugs go back to bed and we can get onto the bush trails again.

>he is a Lippitt Morgan.
Correction.  He has a solid Government and Brunk pedigree lines with only one line going to Lippitt breeding.  His confirmation and character looks nothing like Lippitt. He's just shy of 15.1h, and is built like a plow horse ("pocket Belgian" in Mennonite-speak).   He using a draft size neck collar in harness and a custom saddle wider than the two 17h Clydesdales in the barn.  That has everything to do with the size of his frame.  More so when he was fit and doing combined driving.

>The Brooks Un-Ti is not a suitable feed for him.
>Cannot seem to find an actual ingredient list for it,

Brooks Un-ti nutritional analysis:
http://www.brooksfeeds.com/pdf/products_UnTi.pdf

Brooks Ingredients - scroll to the bottom and download the .pdf.
http://www.brooksfeeds.com/products.php?category=performance+and+recreation+rations&id=2

>Better choices would be Ontario Dehy Balanced Timothy Cubes,
>soy hull pellets or r/s/r beet pulp as carriers for his supplements.

I started him out at 2lbs and he did not maintain weight. Worked up from there.  At 3.5lbs/day he is maintaining weight.   He has never been an air fern.  The only time he looked overly tubby was the year I was sidelined with a knee replacement and he did nothing but hang out in the barn and paddock from Dec through the winter. I was back on him without stirrup, 6 wks and 4 days after surgery - carefully.

OTOH, He has been, shall we say, "way too short of food" twice in his life.    Of the incident where I have direct knowledge, (spring 2007) I hauled him out of the boarding stable under police escort and sued the barn owner (and won) for failure to meet contract terms.  This after the barn owner kept feeding me excuses through the very harsh winter as to why he wasn't being fed in the stall I paid for, was turned out with no hay or water in the paddock or worse-- and who kept leaving the lane un-plowed and closing the barn at erratic hours (If that isn't a red flag I don't know what is).  I moved him as soon as the roads cleared.  He was scary thin.  I still have the pics.  Seriously nutritionally compromised  - it took about a year to put him back into working condition.    Problem last year was not that he was obese (not) but rather he was carrying small fat pockets in the wrong places and otherwise looking ribby and unthrifty (definitely NOT morganish!).  Bigger issues with his disinterest in things and the recurring abscessing.   The "hay belly" look as disappeared and he is looking good. Pictures are scheduled.

>minerals properly balanced to the major portion of his diet - his hay.
Will balance when I get the hay measures.  Haven't been able to corner the barn owner yet for the results.

Somewhere in the wars between "what can I eat" and "what will I eat", This Morgan put his foot down.   No matter how hungry, he will not touch Dehy cubes or beet pulp - or anything soaked (bran being the exception).  In addition, nor will the barn owner feed beet pulp due to the complexities and risks associated with soaking.  This is a boarding situation we all have to find something we/he/I can live with.

>The new hoof wall growing in directly below the coronary band may be coming in
>at a steeper angle than the older growth down below. It would point to here having been some rotation/founder occurring.

Xrays (taken in February 2014) are posted.  Vet & Farrier saw no sign of rotation.  More recent photographs are scheduled.  More xrays are not in the budget.

Ruth Vale
Whippoorwill Amulet (Bounce)
joined September 2013
File: