Re: Omega 3 and Vit E

lars_a_swe

---In EquineCushings@..., <threecatfarm@...> wrote :

> Wanted to make the point that the method of delivery in question was not optimal.

I certainly agree with this.

> This may be a better site.  Or perhaps you have a better one for us lay people.

There is a huge problem with conversion rules for different forms of vitamin E. Most web sites actually are incorrect. Even Wikipedia is incorrect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_unit

“Vitamin E: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of about 0.667 mg d-alpha-tocopherol (2/3 mg exactly), or of 0.45 mg of dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate.”

The conversion of natural d-alpha-tocopherol is correct, i.e. 1 mg is equal to 1.5 IU.

The synthetic form of vitamin E that is commonly used is dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate
because this form is more stable. 1 mg of dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate is equal to 1 IU.

Theoretically, the natural form of d-alpha-tocopherol is 1.5 more potent than synthetical dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate. However, KER claims that studies show even higher potency for the natural form:

http://www.ker.com/library/proceedings/04/VitaminE_p73.pdf

Lars
Sweden, July 2008

How do I convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg?