Re: Emmie in July.TWH.NH

CJ Stumpf

Hi Ellen,

Like you, we have used the Morrison Roller Motion shoes from SoundHorse, with fill to the ground.  We got great sole depth development in them.

We use the glue-on with the cuffs.  We like them despite the expense, but with the following conditions:

1) we found the cuffs were helpful because the cuffs effectively cast the foot (look up "pete ramey equicast", or look up old messages about equicast and epona shoes by Linda or EC Primary response - same person who has already been responding to you).

1a) we found that using Vettec SuperFast all around the hoof wall to the heel (with or without the shoe as it turned out) can be used in a way to have the effect of casting the foot, so if that was done instead of using Vettec Adhere with the cuffed shoes the effect should be the same.

2) the equipac soft/equipak combo was not a good combination of fill in our experience.  As far was we could determine, equipak had too much give or too much bounce or both.  We found that a full pour of Equibuild to the ground worked better and longer term. We hypothesize that there was too much "bounce" from the equipak, vs the equibuild which does provide shock absorption but does not have any bounce.  (Unfortunately equibuild is a huge pain to work with because it is runny and has a long set time, but the results have been worth it)

3) the trim is the foundation of the shoe.  The shoe can be very helpful and our experience has matched yours - a tremendous improvement in sole depth when paired with fill to the ground - but if it is put on a hoof that is not trimmed properly for the situation the horse it in, it is not magically going to fix that.  I'll leave any actual comments about the actual hoof preparation to Linda, Lavinia, et al. and to your farrier - there may well have been factors not obvious from the x-rays about why the foot was prepped that way.

So I guess my wrap up is that if your horse' sole depth was compromised (which is painful and is also terrible for the circulation so critical in laminitis recovery, and so bad for proper breakover) and the shoes helped the sole depth, and your horse had a period of increased comfort in them, nobody should be shot.  Next is to ook at the situation as it is now and make the best decision about the next step.  Which it seems you are in process of doing.

Hope this info is of some use.  I wish our experience didn't cover it but since it does, hopefully it helps someone.

-CJ VT 2011

tel: +1 617 816 8766
fax: +1 415 276 4554