Lumps on my mare biopsied and inconclusive results

misyrabi

 I received the results from the 2 masses on my mare, Bahj-Rha and I am not sure if this is something to worry about or not.

The results from all 3 masses were inconclusive.  The description of the material is dense necrotic fibers indicating an infection.  Cancer could not be confirmed or ruled out.

The first mass is under her jaw where the lymph nodes are located, easily palpable and soft.  When you palpate it, there is no pain.  But soft like a lipoma.  The tissue was collected with needle aspiration.

The second larger mass close to the skin is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and about an inch thick.  We took 2 samples from the middle of the mass.

The third mass under the second one has bone/calcified material deposited in the muscle fibers.

With the results coming back as inconclusive, worries me a bit.  I am on the fence regarding whether to remove them or not.  At 28 years old, I don't want to cause her more pain with repeated surgeries.

In my research, I think this type of tumor/cancer is really slow and is not as a worry as lymphosarcoma.

I am slowly weaning my mare into her pergolide and she appears to be tolerating it well and she is starting to run about more chasing the younger horses at meal time.

I have the farrier coming out to trim her up this week so we can get a look at her angles and see how she is doing.  But no sign of foot pain at all.

I tried to upload an update case history to the echistory8 page but yahoo won't let me load anything into it.  I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong or not.

Anyway - just wanted to give a quick update on the biopsy results.  If it is cancer, there is not a lot I can do other than spoil her rotten and keep her as comfy as I can.