Re: Lumps on my mare biopsied and inconclusive results

misyrabi

Lorna,

The lab that performed the Blood test was Cornell.  And if memory serves it was 409 mg/ml.

The reason we are going real slow regarding increasing the dosage was that when my vet first gave me the meds, they wanted me to give her 1 pill once per day and she did not respond well.  So I restarted her 2 weeks ago by cutting the pill in 1/8 segments and increasing the dosage every 4 days by 1/8 of a pill.  It is easier for me to manage the weaning this way.

I give her the medication in a 20 cc tube of applesauce.  The pill is in the middle and I place it on the back of her tongue so she will swallow it.  If I wet down grain and put the pill in that way, she will refuse to eat.  The tube of applesauce is the better delivery vehicle.

By increasing dosage by going in 4ths, nothing gets wasted and she acts like she can deal with it better that way.  Its all for her quality of life, right?

I understand the point of going up as fast as possible, but given my horses colic history, it really is not worth the risk of another bout of colic.

Then add in the inconclusive biopsy of her lumps and given that they may or may not be cancer, it wont hurt her any if we take our time to get up to the full tab dose.  The tabs are 1mg per tab.  Please bear with me.  I am a nerd heart and soul, but the emotion of my baby possibly having cancer on top of cushings is pretty hard to bear so fine details are not first in my brain.

My vet is amazing and I am working with her on the details of how much how often, etc.  What I hope to get from this board is what others experience.  What works and what doesn't and hopefully this cancer scare is not as bad as I think it is.

If I had a choice of dealing with one or the other, I would take the one that gives her the most quality of life possible.

I hope that makes sense.  The data and research is important as it will impact horses in the future, but today for me its about her.  It sounds like the added cancer issue is not common with other cushingoid horses.  That was my original question.

Sorry.

Marion Buntyn

Bennett, Colorado

May 2014