When the daily ration is gone

thelittlebarnonwhiteoakfarm@...

My mini gets a certain amount of hay per day.   She has IR.  She finishes her ration of hay so quickly even though I put it in hay nets.  Actually I just got 2 hay nets with 1" openings thinking that would slow her down.  It really didn't. Then I put one hay net inside the other and that didn't really slow her down.  The hay lasts for 4-5 hours.  But then she's looking for more.

Is straw safe for IR horses or would I have to have it tested?  Or maybe beet pulp.  Can beet pulp be put in hay nets.  Do either of these have too many calories?    I'm just looking for something she could nibble on after her hay ration is gone.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you,
Susan in CT
7-2012