Re: Gift of pergoiled

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Sharon,

Need to correct my previous answer to you regarding the Winstrol. It is not a corticosteroid. Per Dr. Kellon,

"It is a synthetic testosterone-like anabolic. It counteracts the effects of cortisol across the board, from insulin resistance to protein breakdown.

There is no formal study on using anabolics to counteract PPID, but I do know of individual cases where it was very successful.  Drawbacks are that once started it can't be stopped and if a dose is missed you might not be able to get the good result back.  They are also highly controlled substances, like narcotics, because of the abuse potential for athletes."

Sorry for any confusion, my post posted before I had finished revamping it :(

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

---In EquineCushings@..., <shilohmom@...> wrote :.

If it is Wintrol that the vet is recommending that is a steroid and is the last thing one would want to administer to an uncontrolled PPIOD horse as it is the exact opposite of what you are trying to accomplish. A PPID horse already has too much circulating cortisol (steroid). Could cause/exacerbate laminitis.