Re: Serum Amyloid A

gentpony

Hi Laura,

Just wanted to let you know I could now open your new bloodwork file, so hopefully you'll get some helpful feedback soon!

One comment: since P is so athletic, you might want to ask to include sodium, chloride, potassium, and magnesium on your next biochemistry panel. Hopefully this is available in a package so it is cost-effective.
This would help you to assess electrolytes, hydration level, and magnesium for immunity/muscle function.  I found this helpful for our situation.  We always requested the broadest biochemistry panel available, which was not much more costly.  This gave us so much information, and great baseline levels over the years that proved valuable when things did go wrong.

With bloodwork, which is a snapshot of a moment in time, it's best to evaluate the results (what are they telling us/ what are the possible causes of such results), compare current results to past bloodwork results (evaluate changes, and reasons for these changes), and use this information to guide the treatment of any symptoms, or to correct obvious deficiencies.

( I urge everyone to educate themselves in interpreting blood work and not just rely on your vet. Get copies of all that bloodwork you have paid for.  As shocking as this may be, unfortunately, we have found that some vets are just as lacking in interpreting basic bloodwork, as they are lacking in the knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of IR and Cushings!  We have thankfully prevented or guided treatment of some disasters by not ignoring blood work results.  Yes, vets are busy, but no one is more interested in the welfare of your horse than your are.)

Laura, maybe to put your mind at some ease, SAA "is" elevated at 233 (no units)...but for comparison, Mel's was a whopping 8692.4 mg/L !
I've heard that SAA is commonly elevated in mares after they deliver foals, but since we have only geldings, I don't know what those levels might be.

Eva
SW Ontario, March 2005