Re: Veterinary Help With Cushings

Nancy C

Oh Marian.  You’ve stepped in it this time, IMO. You have very clearly demonstrated that you have rarely if ever actually followed anything that goes on here.  Who said anything about “denying professional veterinary care”?

ECIR has been telling folks from the very beginning to get their vets involved. Horse owners are desperate to get their vets involved in a positive manner for the long term health of the horse.  ECIR established ecirhorse.org for just that end because so many vets did not and still do not understand PPID and IR.

“Endocrinology changing rapidly” may have happened in your world, but the members here have been ahead of the curve from the beginning.

ECIR recognized Dex as potentially dangerous and potentially giving false positives long ago. Fourteen years to be exact.   Way before the EEG or anyone else decided we horse owners weren’t crazy.  It was not a “perception”. Check the archives.

Just last week I had an AAEP vet (not my vet) recommend to me to give baking soda to my IR horse so I could put him back on grass.  This is also recommended by another AAEP vet who also sells supplements on the theory that acidosis from “sugar” in the hind gut causes hyperinsulinemia. Baking soda will solve this little problem.  Is that an AAEP or BI/EEG rec now?

Your post has brought a few additional follow up questions to mind...

Why does the EEG recommend that higher amounts of Prascend can be given if the owner can afford it, but if not, um.... (See recs in your links)

Why do some AAEP vets refuse to prescribe any more than 3 mg of Prascend even when the owner can afford it and it is obviously needed as clearly demonstrated by blood work and symptoms?

Why is it okay to have 30% of the horses in BI’s study not responding positively to the recommended level of Prascend?

It would be okay with you though, if the  ECIR Group works to educate owners and vets of the value of the drug in a correctly diagnosed horse,  right?  There are many who won’t prescribe pergolide at all, because they are laboring under myths and bad science about the drug.

Why do most AAEP vets not understand the benefit of titrating on to pergolide to avoid “side affects” or know there are ways to help the horse comfortably transition on?

Why do “specific EEG members located at Universities” believe horse owners are “suspect at best” when it comes to understanding and reporting what their horses are going through?

How many specific PPID/IR cases have these specific EEG members located at Universities followed long term and for how long?

Why do so many AAEP vets think PPID is  “just old age?” and IR, or your “ID”, is just because the horse is fat?  This group has known both to be false for years.

Thank the deities there are AAEP Vets (mine for example) who are willing to work with this group.  They recognize the value of what the group has been able to do, and what the collective expertise can bring to the discussion and care of these horses.

After years of struggling with vets who didn't care, didn't know, didn't want to know, or had bad info, I finally found a vet willing to work with me for the benefit of my horse who I am still able to work and ride.  I am so very thankful.  So many others are not so lucky.

I sure hope Teri sees your post because it appears you haven’t followed those background discussions either.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

---In EquineCushings@..., <mariangraves@...> wrote :

I'm sorry, I must disagree with this information and enter this discussion.

"Hi Judy,

The best thing you can do right now is send your local vets to this website.

Your question ‘’can anyone recommend a vet’’ may not be needed.  We’ll coach you!"