Re: Haystack Feeds

Christine R

Thank you for your feedback.  I tried searching through this group for answers, but I have a really hard time navigating this system.  It's extremely non-user friendly, but has a ton of info.  I would imagine it would be an extremely difficult and time consuming project to switch to a different format.

Lorna, to answer your question:

I am pretty sure that I have two Cushings (or pre-Cushings) horses.  I've been trying to feed as if they are until I could get the vet out (I have the vet coming out in about an hour to draw blood).  Both were really slow to shed out last spring, my gelding sweats excessively, has a pot belly, and my mare has lost a lot of weight and muscle tone since October.  I've owned my Morgan x Arab mare for about 12 years and she was always an extremely easy keeper (typical picture of an IR horse, but I didn't know that back then).  The past couple years I've had a hard time keeping weight on her through the winter.  This fall her drop in weight around October was very noticeable.  Neither have ever had laminitis or been lame at all since I've owned them.

My 29 year old Arabian gelding's teeth are pretty much useless.  He gets the majority of his calories/nutrition from pelleted feeds and he's VERY picky.  I know he's not on an ideal diet if it turns out that he does have Cushings, but I have a really hard time finding foods that he can and will eat.  Right now, he's eating Safe Choice Special Care (which I would like to swap out for the Haystack pellets), alfalfa pellets, and Haystack chopped alfalfa.  He goes through about 1 flake of grass hay every couple days, but it's mostly to give him something to chew on.  Most of it falls out of his mouth.  When I've tried to take him off the chopped alfalfa (it has molasses in it), he quickly loses weight.

My 18 year old Morab mare is eating local grass hay supplemented with Standlee Timothy pellets, beet pulp, vitamin E, and APF supplement.  I just started adding these "extras" to the hay a couple weeks ago.  She also seems to do better (weight wise) on alfalfa, which I plan to switch back to soon depending on what the vet finds.  Last winter I fed straight alfalfa and she was fine.

If anyone has any last minute wisdom to impart before I leave to meet the vet in 30 minutes, I'm all "ears"!!!

Thanks,

Christine (and Avesta and Nellie)

Olympia, WA