Re: Please help. New to all of this.

Maggie

Hi Tiffany,

I agree with Lavinia on the stabilized ground flax seed being the easiest option.  I buy the Triple Crown Omega Max from Southern States for ~$30 for a 25 lb bag.  Some folks grind their own, but if you go that route, it has to be ground fresh daily or no more than a few days at a time and stored in the frig as it goes rancid quickly.  Ground flax seed has a different "mouth feel" and some horses have trouble getting used to it.  Anytime you are having trouble getting Maggie to eat something it's best to start with just a pinch and work your way up from there.  Also, a spritz of water on her food may help the flax to stick and get gobbled up with the TC Lite.

You are right, the sugar starch content will vary from lot to lot, even from the same farmer.  A lot is basically hay cut on the same day from the same field.  Some folks that board ask the barn owner to set aside an area to store the hay that they have tested for their horse.  Some folks store their hay at home and bring stuffed hay nets to the barn for their horse.  The ODTB's might be an option until you can get the hay situation sorted out.  In the meantime, you should be soaking her untested hay for an hour in cold water or 30 minutes in hot water.  You can use the ODTB's dry, but if you chose to add warm water to "fluff" the cubes, make sure you only add enough water that will absorb into the cubes without pouring any off.  You don't want to lose the minerals that balance them.  I use the dampened cubes as a carrier for my supplements and also as dry as treats.

You should be able to get into that member database now.   Here's the link:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EquineCushings/database  If that link doesn't work, just click on "more" and then "database" and then "regional members."  You'll have to scroll through looking for NC members that may be near you.

I'm glad to hear that Maggie is feeling a bit better!  You should expect her to have good days and bad.  That's the way of it.  As hard as it is, resist the urge to give her Bute on her bad days.  Did you see the mark ups that Lavinia put in your photo album?

I did look at your labs in your CH too.  Thanks for updating that.  It's good that her ACTH is in the mid normal range.  With her insulin and glucose that high, a really tight low sugar starch diet is supremely important.

Hang in there!

Maggie, Chancey and Spiral in VA
March 2011
EC Primary Response