From: EquineCushings@... ;
To: ;
Subject: [EquineCushings] Digest Number 12383
Sent: Sat, Nov 22, 2014 11:26:18 AM

14 Messages

Digest #12383
1a
Re: muscle up by "loes" loescal
1b
Re: muscle up by laviniamfiscaletti
2b
Re: leg wraps for winte rwarmth by laviniamfiscaletti
2c
Re: leg wraps for winte rwarmth by "Kathy Graves" kdgraves442000
4a
Re: Previcox dose by corysgroom
5a
Chasteberry and Prascend by carolynwahlfeld
5b
6
Winterizing my horse by carolynwahlfeld
7a
Re: WAS: Monty's Lab Results, NOW: Re-testing ACTH by aa39b681fcdc62d389c938919cb6e385
8a
Re: Dr Kellon - Tumeric advice? by "Mrozielski" joycemrozielski

Messages

1a

Re: muscle up

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:12 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"loes" loescal

Lauren:

My Romke weighs1,600+ pounds, he gets 1/2 cup of split peas (raw) and 2 scoops (contained in the product) of Uckele's Tri Amino. Before that he could not make muscle. I give my other 3 equines the same adjusted to their weight. They all love the split peas.

Loes
& Romke, TJ, Dreamer and Daisy
So CA
2007or 2008

On Nov 21, 2014, at 1:56 PM, laurenn1717@... [EquineCushings] wrote:

> Hello,
> My horse is slowly going back into work and I am having trouble getting his top line back as well as just muscling him up in general.
>
> Lauren
> Arizona
> Sept 2014

1b

Re: muscle up

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:26 pm (PST) . Posted by:

laviniamfiscaletti

Hi Lauren,

We really need to see your case history to be able to help more effectively. Your diet is going to play a major role in what we suggest.

Why is he on Red Cell? This is a supplement for iron and there has never been a documented case of an adult horse being iron deficient unless there has been catastrophic blood loss. Many horses, esp those with PPID and IR, are already iron overloaded.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

2a

Re: leg wraps for winte rwarmth

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm (PST) . Posted by:

kansteensen

Hi Deborah -
Look up "Whinny Warmers" on line - they are sox for horses - some for winter- some for summer for the flies.
Karen
Scarborough,ME
May/2014
---- "deborah_ide@... [EquineCushings]" wrote:
> I have been planning to get my horse some leg wraps to keep her warm during the winter. Are there any particular ones that people have found to be good?

2b

Re: leg wraps for winte rwarmth

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:35 pm (PST) . Posted by:

laviniamfiscaletti

Hi Deborah,

The idea is to keep in warmth so boots that cover the lower leg, and even the hoof, are what's needed. For the feet themselves you could use socks inside of padded boots. Lined shipping boots are a relatively simple solution.

How much warmth will depend on what the temps are doing in your area and how sensitive your horse is to the drop in temps. Need to start wrapping/blanketing once the temps drop into the forties as that is when the cold-induced issues start.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

2c

Re: leg wraps for winte rwarmth

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:08 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Kathy Graves" kdgraves442000

Has anyone tried those things called Whinney Warmers? They might work.

K. Graves
2011
N. California

On Nov 21, 2014, at 2:35 PM, shilohmom@... [EquineCushings] wrote:

> Hi Deborah,
>
> The idea is to keep in warmth so boots that cover the lower leg, and even the hoof, are what's needed. For the feet themselves you could use socks inside of padded boots. Lined shipping boots are a relatively simple solution.
>
> How much warmth will depend on what the temps are doing in your area and how sensitive your horse is to the drop in temps. Need to start wrapping/blanketing once the temps drop into the forties as that is when the cold-induced issues start.
>
> Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
> Jan 05, RI
> EC Support Team

Kathy Graves

2d

Re: leg wraps for winte rwarmth

Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 pm (PST) . Posted by:

papballou

I've used them a lot, but they can be pretty tricky to get on if the horse is shod with metal or composites. Also, if the horse has a hard time standing due to arthritis issues or laminitis, they can prove to be a challenge as well.

You may consider these - take all of seconds to put on, and the horse doesn't have to lift the foot/leg...

http://www.doversaddlery.com/cashel%3Fs%C2%AE-boomer%3Fs-bandages%3F/p/X1-2610/ http://www.doversaddlery.com/cashel%3Fs%C2%AE-boomer%3Fs-bandages%3F/p/X1-2610/

Pap is in them right now...

Linda
Western NV
2004

3a

Re: Please help.  New to all of this.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:56 pm (PST) . Posted by:

spiral1957

Hi Tiffany,

Sorry, ODTB=Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes.  They are low sugar starch Timothy hay cubes, each batch balanced according to Dr. Kellon's specs.   They can actually be used as a complete feed if one cannot find low sugar starch hay or for older horses with dentition issues. Still would need to add iodized salt, ground flax seed and Vitamin E if using them as a complete feed.   Lot of us add warm water to them to "fluff" them and use them as a carrier for our minerals and supplements.  They are also great low sugar starch treats.  The Triple Crown Lite will be just fine in those small amounts, but if you are looking for a safe treat or you want to replace part of Maggie's hay, you could use the ODTB's.  Any place that carries Triple Crown products can get them so you can ask at the place where you got the TC Lite if you're interested.

I use those poly rope smhn's (small mesh hay nets) too.  Love them!  I started with the ones that had about 2" holes and then ended up having to double them as Chancey got more efficient at emptying them.  Finally found these greedy feeders with 1" holes and they are working out the best of anything I've tried so far.  https://stagecoachwest.com/greedy-feeder-p-5194.html   You could try putting part of Maggie's hay in the hay net and part in the Nibble net.  I bet she masters the rope one soon and then you will be able to reintroduce the Nibble net.

I'm investigating the message you got when you tried to open the link to the members database.  Stand by for more info on that.

How is she feeling today?

Maggie, Chancey and Spiral in VA
March 2011
EC Primary Response