Re: Prascend

Nancy C

Hi LJ

Data.....Check out the pergolide dbase in the FILES section for a good review of doses and how horses are treated.

Cushing’s cannot be treated by low ESC and Starch feed.  Neuron’s fail in PPID.  They are gone.    Pergolide replaces the lost neurons.  To not treat PPID means a huge risk for laminitis, increased infections, sensitivities to bugs and worms, loss of muscle, inability to work, generally feeling crappy, more. Many man case history examples here on that. Read more about the physiology, diagnosis and treatment of PPID on www.ecirhorse.org

If the horse is also IR, he needs to be managed with mineral balanced low ESC and Starch diet. Can also read about the physiology, diagnosis and treatment of IR on ecirhorse.org.

Dr Kellon’s proceedings from the 2013 NO Laminitis! Conference go into great detail. Mineral Nutrition and IR may prove helpfu to you

http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/no-laminitis-conference/2013-proceedings-recordings-table-of-contents

Scroll down to:
ECIR 2013 Proceedings Kellon Mineral Nutrition and Insulin Resistance

We have had the following reported by the members of this group:

Prascend did not control their horses ACTH
The ACTH improved when switching pharmacies
The ACTH improved when going onto Prascend
The ACTH improved when increasing dosage beyond what BI recommends as the optimum dose of pergolide (3-5mg)
The ACTH improved when changing dose delivery (ie, AM or PM or split or not split)

Some of these reports have been verified by back-up blood work, others are only based on view of symptoms. There are probably other variations of above that I hope others will add but you may get the idea.  If you want to read more about experiences, we have reports in the files:

Your vet’s experience will be influenced on the details of the diagnosis, the compounder used, the form of compound used, among other potential confounding factors.

ECIR group has been discussing the best way to address pergolide since 2002. How to address potential side effects (titration, use of adaptogens) has also been addressed since then.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

FACT: Insulin resistance (IR) is the failure of insulin sensitive cells to respond to “normal” levels of insulin.  See E. M. Kellon, VMD, Diagnosis of Insulin Resistance and PPID, 2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

---In EquineCushings@..., <lj_friedman@...> wrote :

I was looking for actual data and that is very helpful to me.
Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone