Adding Cyproheptadine to Pergolide prescription

Jen Mcgeehan

Aloha from Hawaii!

It has been a long time since I came to this site for help...So glad to have your input on a new situation with my 32-year old Palomino - Smoke Signal Dun.

He has been on Pergolide, currently 5mg, for about 3 years. Suffered a coffin bone rotation in 2011 and diagnosed with IR and Cushings. We successfully brought him back to good health, through this site's excellent advise, and we still ride our pastures. In 2013 his ACTH level was 29.6. Just had another blood test done and it is at 51. I know this time of year the count can rise, but am sure it is way too high. He is currently on 5mg of Pergolide from Thriving Pets. The vet won't write a prescription for any higher of a dose even though I shared with her that horses can go as high as 10 or 12 mg, if needed. She wants to add Cyrpoheptadine with the Pergolide. Any studies to share in regards to the success of this? I went on line and it indicated that Cyproheptadine (Periactin) doesn't seem to be anywhere near as effective compared to Pergolide. But I didn't see anything in regards to the combination. Would appreciate your help/input here. (His IR numbers are fine...) Merry Christmas!!!