Re: leptin interpretation -- how high can you go?

Leigh Jacobs

Hi Kerry,
My 20+yo Shadow's leptin is >9 ng/ml.  Based on some reading of human research papers, I am correlating it to his huge, nondiminshing appetite.  He is a TWH, so called easy keeper and has not had out of normal insulin or glucose values.  He is not PPID.  However, based on what I have read from Cornell and this group, I am treating him as an IR horse, increasing his fiber, decreasing his concentrates, and trying to get him turned out every day, or ridden.  He is a jumpy/nervous horse, but I have always attributed it to his young years in the show ring.  Makes me wonder if the people in leptin studies have issues as well???
Leigh, Ace and Shadow
Tucson, AZ
2011

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:54 AM, "kerry.isherwood@... [EquineCushings]" wrote:

So my gelding's leptin came back 8.32 ng/mL (norm 1-4).  He's the 7yo Saddlebred with inexplicable nervous behavior that has been on gabapentin since April, 2014.  He recently came up with two high insulins, the latest being 47 uIU/mL.  Initially the thought was that perhaps gabapentin was driving the insulin up but with a leptin like that....yeesh!  Has anyone ever seen a leptin that high?  Cornell only indicates that >7 ng/ml is "high".  You guys have more experience than anyone else I know with leptin, so should I believe a leptin this high or throw it out and re-submit a new sample?

In denial of EMS for horse #2,

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014