ivermectin for encysted strongyles?

chf1752@...

My girls are due for their annual treatment for encysted strongyles. I was a bit surprised to see ivermectin recommend as a treatment, since I've only seen moxidectin or fenbendazole recommended. I see there's some concern about the fenbendazole causing ulceration to the colon, which is something I definitely want to avoid. But 2 of my horses are minis, so Quest isn't an option for them.

Where is the evidence that Ivermectin is actually effective in targeting encysted strongyles?

I've read through the 2013 deworming guidelines, but I didn't see any links to proof of ivermectin's efficacy for this purpose.

Bella received a dose of Quest in June. Does that mean she's covered for the year for encysted strongyles? Before Quest her FEC was 80 strongyles.  After Quest her FEC was 1 strongyle.

Erin

ME