Re: Is R/S ok if no molasses BP?

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Lj,

Did you post for some suggestions of nutrition books that would complement Dr. Kellon's NRC + course?  I may have missed that post.

I assume you looked for the NRC, 2007 Nutrient Requirements for Horses.  This is the basis of the NRC + course materials.  In case you didn't find it,  here is a link to a free on-line site.  The book is also available in hard copy.   Nutrient Requirements of Horses: Sixth Revised Edition

I would think the NRC, 2007 would be helpful in your search for Phosphorus requirement, toxicity, deficiency, etc.,  if I am understanding your post correctly.

Two other suggestions that I have found incredibly helpful  that I would like to share with you are "Horse Journal Guide to Equine Supplements and Nutraceuticals"  by Dr. Kellon and Pete Ramey's "Care and Rehabilitation of the Equine Foot".  Among the incredible articles in Ramey's book by well known experts there are chapters by our own expert Dr. Kellon.  The Chapters are:   Chapter 6,  Metabolic Laminitis, Chapter 7,  Nutrition and the Hoof,  Chapter  9,  Hay Analysis, and  Chapter 10,  Balancing the Diet.  Both of these books are available on Amazon.  The Ramey book is a bit pricey....worth it, but I see they have used copies, as well.

Hope you find these suggestions to be helpful.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  01/08