Re: IR Mare

Maggie

Hi "shyde1982",

Welcome to the group!  You've come to the right place for help!  Please tell us your first name so we know what to call you.  You've given us quite a bit of information about your mare, but what we really need you to do so that we have all the details we need to give you the best advice is to fill out a case history on her.  To do that, you need to join one of our sister groups called ECH8.  Here's a link to that group:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/echistory8/info  Once you get approved, which shouldn't take long, just follow the instructions to fill out a case history (CH) on your girl.  If you have any trouble joining ECH8, just let us know and we can send you an invite.  Meanwhile, I will tell our about our philosophy called DDT/E, which stands for Diagnosis, Diet, Trim and Exercise, and make some comments on the information that you have already provided us.

Diet:  The diet that we recommend is a forage based low sugar starch (tested to be under 10% sugar+starch) low fat (4% or under) mineral balanced diet.  We use grass hay, tested to be under 10% sugar+starch, with minerals added to balance the hay to the analysis and to replace what is lost during the hay curing process, we add Vitamin E and ground flax seed.  This diet is crucial for an IR horse, but it also supports the delicate immune system of the PPID horse.  Until you get your hay tested, we recommend that you start your horse on the emergency diet.  Details of the emergency diet can be found on our website here:  http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/ddt-overview/ddt-diet  The emergency diet is too be used only temporarily until you can get your hay tested and balanced.  Since your hay is untested you should be soaking it for an hour in cold water or 30 minutes in hot water to remove up to about 30% of the sugar content.  Make sure that you dump the sugary water where the horse(s) can't get too it.  Soaking in freezing weather CAN be done!  Try using a large cooler with wheels and soaking in hot water.  Once drained, you can just wheel it over and feed right out of the cooler!  Make sure you drain the water where the horse(s) can't get to it!  Stop the BOSS, alfalfa cubes and pellets, and TC 30% for now.  Get down to the basics--soaked hay and the emergency ingredients as listed in rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp.  Less is more!  And the soaking will give you a double whammy bonus!  Better for her airway AND better for her IR!!

We like to send our hay for analysis to this lab. http://equi-analytical.com/   and ask for the #603, trainers' package for $54.  Once you get your hay tested, we will help you to get your diet balanced.  Just let us know when you get the results back.

As important as what you do feed on the IR diet is what you DON'T feed!  No grain, no pelleted or senior feeds, no pasture (even dead looking grass), no sugary treats (including carrots and apples), no molasses, as you already know.

Trim:  Sounds like you are making great progress on the trim!  You are welcome to post pictures of your horse's feet in the PHOTOS section of ECH8 for one of our hoof gurus to look and see if your trim is spot on.  Here's a website that shows how to take good hoof pictures:  http://www.all-natural-horse-care.com/good-hoof-photos.html

Exercise:  The best IR buster there is, but a laminitic horse should never be forced to move!   You don't mention if your horse is  footsore, but if so, boots and pads may be in order for her comfort.

Hang in there!  Get your case history filled out so we have all the details to help you sort through all of this better!  Read the website, files, old messages...lots to learn here!!

Maggie, Chancey and Spiral in VA
March 2011
EC Primary Response
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory4/files/maggie%20in%20virginia/