Re: Alfalfa Hay/Gleeming Coats with Dapples

Kerry Isherwood

I can definitely vouch for not relying on dapples as an indicator of IR/PPID health: my heavy, drafty mare always has gorgeous dapples even during her worst insulin crises. My svelte IR gelding is always much leaner than the typical obese IR body-type and sports dapples much of the year. And while I'd like to believe dapples are a badge of honor owing to my exemplary husbandry, in reality im just flailing in the dark like all the rest of us anxious IR/PPID horsekeeppers.

Dappled in NY,
Kerry