Re: Diagnosing PPID

Kerry Isherwood

Barbara,

Four years ago we jumped on the chance to buy a foreclosed property w barn & run-down land to be able to realize my dream of retiring my old mare at home. I envisioned sitting at dusk on my porch and gazing lovingly at my old mare grazing alongside her eventual replacement, my younger gelding. She would whisper her wisdom to him and keep him in line as only an old alpha mare can. I couldnt wait to get the property ready

Reality came crashing down two years ago when my mare was diagnosed IR. Two years of intensive study and very strict diet kept her sound & showing yet her insulin remained so unstable that even a couple bites of grass swiped accidentally set her back for days. She was diagnosed early PPID last autumn and while pergolide has greatly helped control her insulin swings, grass--even dead grass--remains a dangerous laminitic trigger for her. Alas, my mare will never be able to graze in her twilight on my now beautiful lawn.

A dry-lot is definitely not a property enhancer, but its saved my mare's life. In an odd twist of fate, my gelding also tested IR last year as well. So now neither of my horses can graze the acres Ive worked so hard to rejuvenate. Instead of watching my horses graze from my porch, they now watch me curiously from their dry-lot as I mow for hours on the tractor that was supposed to be my new trailer...

The point is that what horses crave more than grass is companionship, being w other horses as well as with you. They can & will live very happily w/o grass, even non-IR horses do & will. And as I have learned, having to mow grass is still way way better than watching my horses suffer from sore feet

Dont despair, we are here to help get you through the storm.

Kerry in NY
Pinky Sept 2014
Tofurky Nov 2014