Re: Considering getting my mare tested - some questions

Nancy C

Hi Jesse

You will get a full welcome from one of the senior volunteers soon but want to comment on testing.

I must disagree with your vet regarding his choices on testing.  You do not need the Karo syrup test  which is based on human medicine and not without risk.

What the group recommends is non-fasting blood drw of serum insulin, leptin and glucose.  The model for this testing and review of results are based on looking at ponies in a natural condition from the VA Poly Tech.

Your breeds are prediposed to IR so it is good that you are looking for diagnosis. While you are waiting for more guidance from us, go take a look at the diagnosis page of ecirhorse.org (link below) and download Dr Kellon's Diagnosing IR and PPID 2013 NO Lamintis! Proceeding. (link also below)

http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/ddt-overview/ddt-diagnosis
2013 Proceedings & Recordings Table of Contents

Both of these will be helpful not only for you but also for your vet.  The proceeding especially explains and weighs the benefits of all the current tests.

Lastly, its great you are in Texas. The 2015 NO Lamintis! Conference will take place in Georgetown on Nov 6-8.  See nolaminitis.org.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
FACT: The VA Polytechnic Pony Study is the only study to look at IR and laminitis under natural conditions. See  E. M. Kellon, VMD, Diagnosis of Insulin Resistance and PPID, 2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

---In EquineCushings@..., <insidiousglamour@...> wrote :

Thank you!

My initial thoughts were the nutrition in the grass/hay down here vs. Minnesota...but I want to make sure I cover my bases and don't overlook something like IR and pay for it with something more serious than a few extra pounds.