Re: Pituitary tumors and question for Dr. Kellon

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

---In EquineCushings@..., <newuser1971@...> wrote :

I am trying to understand why so many horses have this disease. Do horses in the wild suffer from PPID or is it confined to domestic horses and is, therefore, "manmade" due to our feeding practices???

PPID is a disease of aging. There is not data available on the number of feral horses with pituitary changes but since the average life expectancy is only about 18 years, there probably is not as much and they might not even be symptomatic before they die for other reasons.

This paper describes how the pituitary gradually changes:

Expression and Regulation of Facilitative Glucose Transporters in Equine Insulin-Sensitive Tissue: From Physiology to Pathology

Notice all the horses with grade I only were much younger than the others and the two other much younger horses show up in grade II.

EC Co-owner

Feb 2001