Re: transporting cornell blood to the vet

Nancy C

Just want to add when I pull my own blood, I stand the tubes in a plastic cup in a cooler with ice for the trip to the clinic which is 90 mins away.

When I need to pull blood at  critical time, just before a holiday, have also had a small animal vet who's five minutes away from me, spin and separate.  Then I froze the tubes and delivered the following week.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/equine-cushing-s-and-insulin-resistance-group-inc

---In EquineCushings@..., <kerry.isherwood@...> wrote :

-Purple tops must be kept cool. These samples can be gently mixed or ride to the clinic on their sides; no big deal. They are not supposed to clot
-Red top tubes ARE supposed to form a clot on their own and ideally stand upright & remain undisturbed during transport. Its not a problem if the tubes fall over; they're going to be spun at a high rate of speed to separate the cells anyway so no real damage is done if the blood mixes/clot moves. You might see a remark about hemolysis in results (means some red blood cells ruptured but its not going to effect the leptin or insulin results; if you're running a blood chemistry to check on body-wide organ system function then possible hemolysis would potentially interfere with results). Best to keep the red tubes cooled also.

Im not going to get into the glucose part of the Cornell panel. If your vet is requesting the glucose test & you handle the blood tubes as Ive described above, the glucose results will be fairly accurate.

Kerry in NY
Licensed Vet Tech