Re: Pain relief for very painful horse) WAS Need Help ( Jasper's rea

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

Hi Corrine-- I know it is so frustrating and scary when they stop eating. Cory has done this twice and the only way I could get him to start eating again was to feed Standlee Compressed Orchard grass hay. I even had one batch tested (it came in under 10% sugar/starch, but I know that's no guarantee that all batches are). It's hard to find something to tempt a newly picky horse, and if you are like me you never thought you would have a horse that wouldn't hoover up every food or food-like particle within reach.

With regards to the PQ and Alcar, yes the Alcar tastes terrible and the PQ smells terrible, but I have found that Cory loves the PQ now, and he never notices anything I add to it. I do however still syringe it (and any additives) into him, because I want to make sure it gets into him. Use a 60cc catheter syringe and mix it with a little water. I also grind it a little in a coffee grinder, because occasionally a small piece will clog the syringe, but you may not have that problem.

Hang in there. I know you are tired.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/