Re: Understanding Bonnie's insulin results

takarri@...

---In EquineCushings@..., <newuser1971@...> wrote :

Thanks Jean. How fascinating. Jewel "looks" IR which is why I was really surprised her insulin score was the same as Bonnie's (who does not look IR). Jewel is overweight; has fat pockets above her eyes; fat pads around her tail head and she pees alot. I will see if I can get her re-tested using a different lab....

Hi Sarah,

It’s true that QH are low on the list of breeds to be pre disposed to IR, but it’s still a possibility. Given the symptoms you’ve described, trust your gut instinct and treat her as if she is IR anyway.  I’d still be a bit suspicious about the blood handling too. Good job for being so proactive with your herd.

Pauline & Spur

Sth West Vic

Australia Aug 07

EC Primary Response