Re: Re Testing ACTH & Doxycycline Question

Kerry Isherwood

....."Should i re test jasper for ACTH now? he's currently being treated for lyme dease till july. Would taking him off doxy for a week before testing be a good idea? ".....

>>> In general it is never advised to interrupt or curtail any course of antibiotics.  But b/c Jasper is a unique & precarious case I defer to Dr. Kellon or mods.  I will, however, offer this from personal experience:  I, myself, am currently taking doxycycline for lyme and before last holiday weekend forgot to renew my Rx.  I had an immediate backslide into 95% of the awful symptoms that had been eradicated while on doxy.  Although I'm not a horse, I would never wish that backward plunge of agony on any species!

....."Also he seems to be losing weight went [...] he's not skinny, but can now feel ribs with ease,can't see ribs though. "....

>>> You are describing the textbook definition of a 5 (poss 6) on the Henneke body scale.  That's exactly where you want to be, IMO.  Thinner is always better on top of sore feet.

....." Also cleans up hay 14 lbs acts like he's starving now.".....

>>> This new-ish observation coupled with his very recent history of consuming >25 gallons of water per day would make me (again, IMO) want to test his insulin, glucose and leptin.  If there's no archival data on doxy affecting insulin/glucose/leptin, I would speak to Cornell's consulting vet in the endocrinology lab (or have my vet do it) to ascertain if there is any known cases of doxy skewing insulin/glucose/leptin results while a horse is on chronic treatment.  Living the hotbed of lyme country I would almost guarantee someone, somewhere, has had to submit these tests while a horse has been in treatment for chronic lyme.  If you or your vet is not comfortable calling Cornell, I will be glad to do it, as my hosp has an acct and god knows they've almost given me an inside direct line because of all the business I've given them with my 2 IRs, one being very difficult to control.

Anyway, normally I wouldn't write to offer my half-cocked ideas brimming with hubris but I know you are having so much difficulty getting Jasper well that I'm hoping my advice might catch the eye of someone and get a helpful dialog going.  I'm particularly interested in why he would be drinking so much water....

Best wishes,

Kerry, LVT in NY

Sept 2014