Re: Increase Pergolide when?

Nancy C

IMO there is definitely a need to know your horse on this one.  And it can take a few seasons to get it right.  And it can change as they age. (ie how MUCH does the dose go up?)

Beau always went into decline in August. Took me years to figure out what the devil was going on.  I now start bringing dose up in July with which my vet agrees.  I retest in August, then again in November. Thankfully my vet taught me how to pull the blood myself so it's less of an expense.

As Chanda says, you want to stay ahead of the issues if you can.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
FACT: Sensory nerves in the foot can be activated via tactile light pressure receptors and can affect vascular perfusion through the foot bringing more comfort to the horse. See RM Bowker, VMD, PhD, Nerves, Nerves, Nerves: Why Are They So Important To The Horse?  2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.