Re: Increase Pergolide when?

ferne fedeli

Well, Nancy, I hadn't really noticed much difference in my horse last year at the time of his tests, but then later on he got Laminitis.  Mild this time, but it really took me by surprise.  He had gone from 2010 with nary a problem.  Of course, as you say, he is getting older (me too!).  I will contact my vet and shoot for around the first of July to increase his dose.  I was planning to go from 2mg to 3mg.  Is that reasonable?  I could just go to 2.5mg, but was worried that wouldn't be enough.
Ferne Fedeli
No. California
4/2010​

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:04 PM, threecatfarm@... [EquineCushings] <EquineCushings@...> wrote:

IMO there is definitely a need to know your horse on this one.  And it can take a few seasons to get it right.  And it can change as they age. (ie how MUCH does the dose go up?)

Beau always went into decline in August. Took me years to figure out what the devil was going on.  I now start bringing dose up in July with which my vet agrees.  I retest in August, then again in November. Thankfully my vet taught me how to pull the blood myself so it's less of an expense.

As Chanda says, you want to stay ahead of the issues if you can.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
FACT: Sensory nerves in the foot can be activated via tactile light pressure receptors and can affect vascular perfusion through the foot bringing more comfort to the horse. See RM Bowker, VMD, PhD, Nerves, Nerves, Nerves: Why Are They So Important To The Horse?  2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.
The ecirhorse.org website is complimentary to the Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance outreach group. Equine Cushing's Disease, also known ...
Preview by Yahoo