Re: Was: Increase Pergolide -Now: Who Tests annually in Spring?

Kerry Isherwood

Hi!  I test frequently all year long, but my timeframe is very limited thus far.  You prob saw this rough table from a prev post:

My mare's ACTH's (all at Cornell):

9/24/14.....ACTH  36.6 untreated, in full hyperglycemic/hyperinsulinemic crisis.  Start 1mg pergolide
10/25/14.....ACTH  26.2 on 1mg.
early Nov.....had severe insulin spike, PU/PD, etc; increased pergo by 0.5mg to 1.5mg/day
12/3/14.....ACTH  22.1 on 1.5mg/day
early '15.....insulin/glucose well-controlled on 1.5mg
5/17/15.....ACTH  22.1 on 1.5mg./day, still seems well-controlled, feels great under tack.

Obviously I have a mare.  Most of the time she lives alone (very contentedly) in my backyard.  For a few months this past winter I boarded her at a nearby facility with an indoor arena.  Only change in management was she shared a paddock with my younger IR gelding (Tofurky) who is docile and eats the same diet as Pinky.  The mare has shown extensively and handles changes in environs without much, if any, stress.  Tofurky I jokingly label as "asexual" bc he shows no studdish behavior, ever; he's more of the doofus adolescent that has no idea what to do around the fairer sex.  However, for a brief time a very studdish gelding was living in the paddock next to Pinky & Tofurky and for the first time in her 11 years with me, Pinky was outrageously and obnoxiously the "flirtatious mare" that gives the phrase its dreaded connotations.  She was in immediate, full estrus in the foul depths of winter but more importantly, I noticed a slight nod toward her usual pattern of spiking insulin that abated quickly with the removal of the stud-y adjacent gelding (I didn't pull bloodwork at that point bc I didn't recognize its potential usefulness).  Within a few days Pinky was back to her usual anestrus state wherein she typically, and thankfully, lives largely at peace.

I have yet to fully understand the spring-hormonal-laminitis connection with PPID (meaning, I haven't done enough reading) but wanted to offer the above interesting observation with my mare.  She was a Premarin broodmare that pasture bred & had many foals (believed to be eight foals) before she was culled at age 10 when i adopted her, FWIW.

Have any studies been conducted following ACTH #s on broodmares (+/- breeds prone to IR)?

Fascinating stuff.

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014

PS...my CH's have been deleted or otherwise lost by Neo so are being updated at present.