Re: Abnormal shedding??

janieclougher@...

HI, Kelly - Buddy is such beauty! And what a lot of character in his face.

Here is what I see, looking at the case history and photos: not enough groceries for the amount of work. You would be amazed at how common this is.  How many pounds is the 6 flakes of hay?  Is the hay tested? (might be protein deficient)  Also, he has no trace elements added (copper, zinc, manganese, iodine); and the vitamin E might not be being absorbed if it is a powder form and not touching some oil.  MSM also can interfere with copper uptake, so there is a double whammy regarding copper status. So he may well be missing the essential minerals, safe calories, proteins and vitamin E that will alllow him to build muscle.

The fact that last summer he came up lame after being out on grass, combined with a new trim, suggests that he is still IR at baseline; this is somewhat supported by his improvement after being off grass. This means you need to continue to treat him as IR.

IR horses in work need safe feed, but a lot more of it.  Free choice hay (if the hay is below 10% ESC + starch) is ideal, plus beet pulp rinsed/soaked/rinsed (or Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance Cubes, or Nuzu Stabul 1) to act as a carrier for the vitamin E, flax, salt, and minerals that are missing from the hay.  If you can't test the hay, please start getting some California Trace Plus http://californiatrace.com/catraceplus.html   into him.  You will still have to add a magnesium supplement; Remission is fine, but magnesium oxide is a whole lot cheaper.

Rather than Nutrena Safe Choice Senior (which is anything but safe: starch is 14%  http://www.nutrenaworld.com/products/horses/safe-choice/safechoice-senior-horse-feed/index.jsp  ) I would use hay cubes, beet pulp (r/s/r) etc as a carrier to get supps into him.

Short version: Ideally, test the hay, balance the minerals to the hay. Testing the hay will also let you know how much protein is in there, and the ESC and starch.

If you can't test the hay, (and you are okay taking the chance that it is below 10% ESC + starch), then do this:

Free choice hay - have hay in front of him all the time
Rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp (or hay cubes, or Nuzu etc) to act as carrier for:
 -1 cup ground, stabilized flax
 -2 scoops California Trace Plus
 -2 tablespoons of iodized table salt
 -5 capsules of Vitamin E in soy oil (or you can mix a tsp of olive oil or flax oil in with your vitamin E powder,  but  then you are doubling up on the selenium with the California Trace Plus)
 -Magnesium oxide, or Remission
 -Uckele Tri Amino
 - 100 grams ( a scoop and a bit) of whey protein isolate

If he doesn't start putting weight on after 10 days, increase the beet pulp to just about as much as he will eat (he can have up to 5 lbs dry weight, which after soaking will fill a bathtub, so shoot for 3 or so lbs dry weight)

Because of the very high index of suspicion for IR: No pasture; no Safe Choice Senior; no MSM; no apples or carrots. (use hay cubes for treats); no added oil beyond what is in the flax, or a tsp olive or flax oil for vitamin E absorption.

but I am not sure if Buddy is a candidate for this - depends on his current status (case history is from Aug 2014)

Let me know how this sounds to you, Kelly -  I can't remember if Buddy turns his nose up at beet pulp or other feeds, or if your arrangement at home allows free choice hay.

Hope this helps!

---In EquineCushings@..., <sincere121@...> wrote :

Hello,

I haven't posted for awhile as my horse has been sound (knock on wood).  My question is regarding his shedding both this spring and last.  It seems to me to be later than other horses in the neighborhood (I only have one horse) and a bit unusual.  I was reading about some of the early symptoms of PPID and I noticed that he has several:  fall laminitis out of the blue (2013), abscesses (several times), losing his topline/muscle (over this past winter), and this unusual shedding pattern I noticed both this spring and last.

Thanks for your advice,

Kelly & Buddy

ECHistory8