Re: ACTH Question- Blood Results

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Caryn,

The current ACTH is at least double what it should be at this time of the year when ACTH is at its normal low point so is more than a "little bit" above normal. In another month, that will likely begin rising further as we head into the seasonal high period. The group has found that maintaining the ACTH solidly within the middle range of the "normal" values is the best way to manage the disease. The further outside the normal range, and the longer it remains there, the more difficult it is to regain control and the greater the likelihood that there will secondary problems arising. Laminitis is the worst of these possibilities.

No way to know what dose it is going to take to regain control. Prascend is only scored to be broken into halves. Anything smaller than that means the amount of medication in each piece is unknown. If you are going to try to use 1/4 tabs or less, we recommend dissolving a 1/2 tablet in a few cc's of water, administering 1/2 the contents of the syringe one day, refrigerating the remainder and administering it the next day. The other option would be to use compounded pergolide capsules for the smaller doses.

Whatever dose you decide to up Narco to, I would be prepared to keep raising it as the seasonal rise hits. Plan to retest in Sept to see whether you are maintaining good control in the face of the rise or not and adjust accordingly.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team